Tuesday, January 24, 2006

What a day and a pleasant surprise

Ever had a day where everything seemed to go wrong? It happened to me yesterday.

I had an early morning hair appointment with my friend, and both the toddler and I woke up late. When I woke up, it was 8 A.M., and I supposed to be at her house by 9. Crap! I jumped into the shower and changed into my clothes. I'll put my makeup on while the baby sleeps. Seems simple enough, right? Wrong! I couldn't find any of my makeup. Double-crap! I decided to scare the world and go without makeup.

I hurridly dressed Robert while he slept. No baby likes to be awakened to having their clothes pulled off, and Robert let me know about it. He pouted as I dressed him, then refused to eat breakfast. "Come on baby! Mama doesn't have time for this," I pleaded. He set his lips together firmly and shook his head. Oatmeal is usually his breakfast of choice, but he stoutly refused it. "Want Cheerios," he stated firmly.

"Fine. Whatever." I ran to the pantry and poured him Cheerios. I usually don't give in, but today I was in a hurry. He nibbled the cereal happily as I went in search for the keys. Argh! I couldn't find the darn things. Then it occured to me that John had used my Jimmy the night before. Darn it! He has my keys! I felt my blood pressure rising. I stormed to the phone and called him on his cell.

"Where are the keys?"

"Oh, I don't know."

I was beginning to reach my boiling point. "What do you mean you don't know? You had them last."

"Oh yeah. They're in my jacket pocket." I hung up the phone and found his jacket. Sure enough, in the pocket, where the keys. I and Robert raced outside to the Jimmy. Yea! We had five minutes to spare! I strapped him into his car seat, plopped into the driver's seat turned the ket and. . .nothing. The truck wouldn't start. This can't be happening! I took the toddler out of the seat and stalked back inside. I had a hair and a dentist appointment, and both would have to be cancelled. I called my beautician friend first.

"I'm sorry, I have to cancel."

"Why?"

"Because my @#$% truck will not start."

My friend owns her own shop, and insisted on picking me up so I could keep my appointment. We chatted while she cut my hair, making it take 2 hours, but during that time I felt the knots in my muscles loosen asI relaxed. At last, something went right!

When I got back home, I called my sweet hubby, and he dropped me off at the dentist. "So, how's the day going?"

The dam burst. Through my tears, Itold him about the truck and not being able to find my makeup. "So I had to go to --------'s house nude." I blubbered.

"Wait a minute. You went to -------'s house with no clothes on?" The look on John's face was priceless, and I had to laugh.

"No silly. My face was nude. . .as in no makeup."

John was relieved. He studied me intently. "How about a break? Would you and the kids like to go to the conference with me tomorrow?" I didn't hesitate. The answer was a resounding "yes."

I need the break, and the Texas coast might inspire me to come up with more story ideas. So, this morning I'm running around like a headless chicken trying to get everything packed so we can leave this afternoon. The kids are coming of course.

I wanted to tell everyone "thank-you" for all the wonderful warm comments you all left on my last post. It meant a lot to me, and I'm so blessed to have such wonderful friends.

See ya when I get back! Hugs to all!

---------------------------------------------------------------


Nicole has tagged me! Here are my "Fun With Fours"



Four Jobs You’ve Had

1. Waitress at Pizza Hut while in high school (Ugh. I try to forget)
2. Working at a girl's "half-way" house
3. Wal-Mart (hated that one)
4. Deputy sheriff

Four Movies You Could Watch Over and Over
1. Steel Magnolias
2. Skeleton Key
3. Hide and Seek
4. Any Disney movie

Four Places You’ve Lived
1. Rosebud, TX
2. San Marcos, TX
3. New Braunfels, TX
4. San Marcos, TX (I moved back from New Braunfels. Yep, I know I'm a stinker for listing it twice)

Four TV Shows You Love To Watch
1. The Golden Girls
2. MAD TV
3. Martha
4.Seinfeld

4. Four of Your Favorite Books
1. Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume
2. Black Creek Crossing by John Saul
3. Mama Makes up her Mind by Bailey White
4. Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (Surprising, huh? LOL)

Four Places You’ve Been On Vacation
1. Cancun
2. New Orleans, Louisiana
3. Colorado Springs, Colorado
4. A little border town next to Del Rio, TX (We stayed in Del Rio and walked across the border)

Four Websites You Visit Daily
1. Freelance Writing
2. Care2
3. all the blogs on my list
4. Writer's Weekly

Four of Your Favorite Foods
1. Cashew Chicken
2. Red grapes
3. homemade spaghetti sauce (either mine or John's recipe. It slow cooks for eight hours. The smell is wonderful!)
4. fajitas

Four Places You Would Rather Be Right Now
1. At my mom's ranch (I love to take rides through the woods on horseback)
2. Cancun
3. Riodosa, New Mexico (a family friend has a cabin in the mountains)
4. Rockport, Texas (It's a small tourist/fishing town, but it has a "blue water beach" and the locals are wonderful It's a great place to go when you're seaching inspiration. The have art galleries, java houses, and cute little shops)

Four people I'm tagging:

Anyone who wants to play!

No comments: