Thursday, January 12, 2006

The late Christmas miracle

I haven't been myself lately. In addition to having had bronchitis, and two children ill, I'm restless with anticipation. I sent two of my children's' chapter book manuscripts off to different publishers several months ago, and the decision time lurks just around the corner. One publisher sent one of the manuscripts back, said they liked the storyline, but to put a different "spin" on it. I modified the story to their specifications and sent it back. I should be hearing from them any day now.

Every night my poor hubby gets assaulted when he walks in the door. "I'm fine? How are you?" he asks wryly as I take the mail and rifle through it. It's always the same results. . .no letter yet. The other night I couldn't stand it; couldn't be in the house another second. I haven't been able to exercise for two weeks, and that's taken it's toll on me as well. I have to be active.

The boys were watching a movie with their dad as I took my jacket out of the hall closet and quietly slipped outside. We've had uncommonly warm weather this year in Texas, but tonight the air had a pleasant chill to it. There were thousands of stars in the cloudless sky, and they sparkled like diamonds against a dark canvas. Breath-taking. I shivered in the cold and slipped into my jacket. A wave of sadness washed over me as I zipped it. The last time I wore this, Blue and I walked up and down the drive together.

I sat on the steps and put on my shoes. Stupid, I chastised myself, why did you let your guard down? Why did you let yourself fall in love with him? You knew you would get hurt. Ever since Snowflake died. . .
I laid back on the cold concrete of the porch and stared at the sky in attempts to stop the tears I felt forming in my eyes.

Snowflake had been my dog when I was a teen. The last dog my dad had given me. The minute the dog and I met, we clicked and were inseparable. She was more then a dog, she was my best friend. I was devastated when she was killed by a car. That was years ago, and I had never allowed myself to get close to another dog until Blue came along.

He was a Malamute/Husky mix, and had eyes as blue as a summer sky. He had an engaging personality, and after a few days, I was in love with a dog again, and it felt wonderful. Now, he was gone, and there was a void in my heart where he had been.

As I lay there feeling sorry for myself, I felt something nudge my foot. Probably the cat. Another nudge, this time harder. I raised myself up, and found myself nose to nose with. . .Blue!

I swallowed nervously and prayed I wasn't dreaming. "B-Blue. I-Is that you?" Blue cocked his head to the side, then sat on his haunches and offered me his paw. It was Blue! I bellowed the news into the house, and the porch was a swarm of activity. The boys, John and I all fussed and hugged the dog. After the newness had worn off, the male members of the family went back inside, leaving me alone with the dog.

I dropped to my knees and wrapped my arms around his fluffy neck. "I missed you so much," I whispered into his ear. I had gotten a late, but much needed, Christmas miracle.

No comments: