Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Things that make you go "Eew!"

*If you're eating or have a weak stomach, you might want to stop reading here.

We've all heard of the fried lizard in the french fries and fingers in chili; but have you ever thought about what you may have eaten? Here are a couple of things that have happened to me.

1. A few years ago I bought a 20 oz. name brand soda in the check-out line at Wal-Mart. When I got home, I opened the bottle and contentedly gulped the icy goodness while I cleaned my house. I took one last gulp before throwing the bottle away. . .but wait. . .something fuzzy was in my mouth. I raced to the bathroom and spit into the toilet. There was a fly! A fly had been in my soda! feeling sick, I grabbed the bottle and dialed the number for the company's consumer affairs. The poor soul on the other line barely had a chance to say hello before I blurted, 'There's a fly in my soda!"

"I'm sorry, there's a what in your what?" the voice on the other end of the line asked.

"A fly. A fly in my soda. No. I didn't put it there."

"Eew, disgusting! Did you keep the fly?"

Duh. Like I'd keep it as a prize. "No," I responded.

"Okay. I'll send you a pre-paid box, and you'll send me the soda bottle for us to analyze."

Within a few days, the box arrived in the mail and I happily sent the bottle to the company. A few days later, I received a call from the same customer service rep.

"Ms. Roppolo, I'm so very sorry that happened to you. Our scientists analyzed the remaining contents and determined the fly had been in the bottle a very long time." I felt the need to hurl, but the woman continued.
"I've sent you a letter you should be receiving in the next few days."

True to her word, the letter arrived five days later. Inside were coupons for 3 free 12 packs of the soda.

2. Last year, after a long morning at the doctor's office, the boys and I stopped by our local grocery store to have the prescriptions filled. "We're backed up, so the wait will be an hour, my pharmacist explained.

"An hour? I'll starve to death before then," Seth whined.

"I'm hungry," Robert chimed in. My stomach growled loudly as I looked at my watch. It was past noon, and I was so hungry myself, I could have eaten one of the stores frozen dinners as it was: frozen. We climbed back into the car and drove across the street to a popular restaurant. The boys had food off the kid's menu, and I had a Cobb salad. My poor deprived stomach was in heaven with each bite I took.

"Hey Mama. What's that on Robert's hot dog bun?" Seth asked. I examined the bun. There was a dark green spot near the corner. MOLD! I got the waitress's attention, and quietly--yes quietly because I didn't want to cause a scene--told her about the bun. She took one look, gagged, and ran off to the kitchen with the bun. She returned with the manager who apologized profusely, and offered us free desserts. The kids were up for it, but I have a problem with taking things I don't feel I deserve, and declined.

The bun was an oversight on the part of the cook; a mistake. I made sure the manager knew I wasn't angry over the bun, and that I wasn't going to sue. I had been a waitress many years ago, and I understood how these things could happen. My suggestion was he check the rest of the buns.

Moral of the stories: Watch what you eat and drink. Literally.

No comments: