Tuesday, January 10, 2006

DONUTS

I hate when this happens. Late last night I made a horrifying discovery when I was re-arranging the fridge. One of the male occupants put the milk jug back in the fridge with just a few drops of milk left in it. I say that it just had to be one of the boys, because I--ahem--never make such an error. Yeah right! Let me back away from the computer screen before lightning strikes me.

Being out of milk meant there would be nothing for breakfast the next morning, and the scene would be nasty. When my crew is hungry, you take your life in your hands just being around them. Reach for that last dinner roll and you might draw back a nub. After a long weekday, they sit around the dunner table, drool running down their face, their mouths twisted in wolf-like snarls, knives and forks poised and ready to strike. It's not quite that bad; I'm exaggerating. I'm close to being that way over the last cup of coffee though. : ).

I couldn't let my family go hungry, so this morning at 2 A.M., I made homemade donuts. I felt like the Dunkin Donut man from the commercial as I sleepily shuffled into the kitchen and made the pastries. It was all worth it in the end; my family heaped praise and gratitude on me for all my hard work. I've included the recipe if you're interested.

Donuts

4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
4 Tablespoons butter
1 pkg. yeast
1 1/2 cup warm water
1 teaspoon salt

Mix all dry ingredients, except the sugar and set aside. Mix warm water, sugar, and yeast together in another bowl, stirring until dissolved. Add to the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the melted butter and mix well. A slightly sticky ball should begin to form. Dump the ball of dough on a lightly floured surface and knead well.

Place into a lightly oiled bowl, and cover. Place in a warm, draft-free, place and allow to rise for 1 hour.

After allowing the dough to rise, return to lightly-floured surface and roll out dough to 1" thickness. Cut out the donuts, and the inner circle of the donut with *biscuit cutters.

Allow to rise for another 10 minutes. In the meantime, heat oil--according to manufacturer's specifications--in a Fry Daddy, or any other deep fat fryer. After the dough has risen, fry the donuts one at a time in the oil. Cook each side for no longer then 13 seconds. Allow donuts to drain and cool on a plate lined with paper towels. Glaze

* I use cutters that at 3 1/2" and 2" across.

Glaze:

3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup Tampico orange drink

Combine all ingredients, stirring well. Of course, more liquid makes the mixture thinner, less makes it thicker.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicole has tagged me :)!

Weirdo 5: Five Weird Things About Me

1. I once led a horse into my mother's house--I was a teen at the time. My mom had some men re-doing her house, and they saw me leading an orphan foal around the yard. "That foal follows you real well," the foreman grinned. "Bet she wouldn't follow you into the house."

Daddy had died a few months earlier, and I had a "don't @#$% with me attitude." I knew that they had just ripped up the flooring, and there was now particle board as the sub-flooring. "Watch me." As obedient as a dog, the tiny foal trip-trapped up the steps, across the porch, and into the house behind me. The men's jaws dropped in shock as we re-appeared outside. "Don't dare me to do anything," I said coolly to the speechless foreman.

2. I have a cat that rides a bike--My cat, Sassy, likes to ride on the seat of my bicycle as I push it down the driveway.

3. I like catsup in my chili--Jon thinks it's gross, but I like it.

4. I play NASCAR in Wal-Mart--I sometimes make car racing noises for my toddler as we cruise up and down the aisles in the shopping cart if he's fussy.

5. I once chased after a dog who had my underwear--My now missing dog, Blue, took my undies of the closeline and ran off down the driveway. It was 5 o'clock in the afternoon, people were driving home from work, and here comes a Husky running at them with undies in his mouth. A few steps behind him is a disheveled young woman--me--gasping "give me back my underwear you crazy mutt!"

After a few minutes of playing a merry game of "catch-me-if-you-can," I finally got my clothing. I was laughing so hard I could barely breathe.


Five people I'm tagging:
Big Dave
Perpetualchocoholic
Nankin
Tracey
Linda

No comments: