Sunday, April 16, 2006

You can learn something every day of your life, and this week I re-visted the lesson of taking nothing for granted. Last weekend, my "larger than life", perfectly healthy great-uncle passed away of a heart attack. I've tried to put on a brave face, but it's been so hard. His passing has ripped off the scabs off emotional wounds, leaving me vunerable to the barrage of emotions running through me. He was my dad's uncle, and had a personality like Dad's. He never met a stranger, and always a warm comforting hug and a word of encouragement for those who needed it.

These past several years Uncle ________ has always been there for me. Little did I know he would stay up at night worrying about me when I was a deputy.

I spoke with him a few months ago, and told him of my new career in writing. Before we hung up, he said, "I'm proud of you girl, and I love you." Those were some of the last words he spoke to me. If I had only known this would be the last time I would have talked with him, I would have taken the time to say how grateful I was to him for everything, to say how much I adored him. I didn't. I thought I had time. Time is fleeting, and is both a blessing and a curse. We are blessed for the time we spend with loved ones, and cursed with the lack of it when they're gone.

I am doing fine. I miss Uncle ___________, but one thing keeps me focused. He wouldn't want me to sit and grieve all the time, he'd want me to live life; to enjoy the time I have left.

Don't stop reading. . .changing the subject
I hope you had a wonderful and memorable Easter! Did you eat a lot of chocolate? Of course I did!

I thought I was going to be soooooooo good this year. I bought those tiny Ritz crackers to stuff in the eggs this year instead of candy. I was so proud of myself. Then. . .evil indulgence poked its head in the door in the form of my hubby. He brought home M&Ms and Reeses' Pieces. Traitor! I thought.

Reese's Pieces are my weakness. I'd probably body slam ET for his bag of Reese's. The bag of Reese's John brought home just happened to develope a tear in the sack, and a few pastel colored pieces just happened to fall into my hand. You see, it was all just an accident, and it would be a shame to leav the candy scattered where someone could stump their toe and fall over them. Yeah right; who would be walking on my table anyway. Yet another excuse to indulge.

No comments: