Monday, April 03, 2006

Coffee. . .I need coffee and lots of it; maybe a gallon or so will get me through the morning. I've been a bad girl this weekend, and it's starting to tell on me. I thrashed my son when I played against him at a video game, and I tortured my poor hubby about his birthday. My devilment began on Friday afternoon with a brownie.

I am a recovering chocoholic, and sometimes a mear chocolate crumb will send me tumbling off the "bandwagon." I was baking brownies for John's birthday, and I knew from the very beginning I was in trouble. My mouth watered as I ripped open the bag and watch the silky cocoa mixure slide suggestively into the bowl.
"You don't need chocolate. Think of what the results will be," the voice of reason whispered to me.

I took a deep breath, added the eggs and oil, and stirred. The mixture shone like polished glass, and looked so fudgy and good. No one will ever know if I lick the bowl, I thought as I spooned the mixture into the baking pan. "Yeah, but my butt will," I said, rinsing out the empty bowl and putting it in the dishwater. I congratulated myself on my willpower as I popped the brownies into the oven. John is a terror to buy for, and the brownies were to be one of his presents.

After they cooled, I cut them and put them in the box I had. All were perfect except for one; a corner was broken off. "Oh, poor baby. You must be in agony. Let me put you out of your misery," I said as I popped the brownie ino my mouth. Wonderful!

I picked on John when he came home from work.

"Well, well. Someone has reached middle age today, and some of us are still in our thirties, I said, smirking. I couldn't help but razz him a little. I'm 4 1/2 years younger than he, and for years he has tormented me about the age difference.

When I talk about what I remember in the 70's, his retort is "Oh, what do you know? You were just a baby then." Snappy comebacks fly back and forth, but they're all in fun, nothing malicious.

Friday night, for John's birthday, we took him to Kobe Japanese steakhouse and suishi bar. If you've never been to one, it's an experience. I had seen the chef ignite the grill before, and tried to prepare my children for what was about to come. When the grill ignited, the flame rose several feet in the air. The heat from the flame was intense. The chef began his routine with the spatulas and my toddler yelled excitedly. I too found myself riveted to the spectacle before me..

"Wasn't the flame neat, Seth? Seth? " I turned and saw I was talking to an empty chair; Seth was across the room. He had ran away when the grill ignited. Other than that, everyone had a great time.

No comments: