Saturday, April 29, 2006

Seth's essay

Here's what Seth wrote for the essay contest. He's had a long hard road, and has come very far.


I had fun last summer. I went to Port Aransas, Texas with my parents and my brother. My aunt, uncle and cousins were already there. We had a good time on the beach, but the most exciting thing I did last August was visit New Orleans for a week. I stayed with Uncle ___________, who is a priest while my daddy went to a conference.

During this visit, I went to the french Quarter and the River Walk. I also saw the Convention Center and the New Orleans Superdome. We visited the levies and Lake Ponchartrain. The lake is very shallow. My cousin, John, told me if the levies ever burst, and the lake overflows its banks, New Orleans will be in trouble. The next week, when we were back home, Hurricane Katrina destroyed New Orleans. I was very sad.

One night, while we were in New Orleans, we went to "National Night Out" at my uncle's church. I made a lot of new friends while I was there. At the Riverwalk Mall, I met a man from Sicily who owned his own pizza restaurant. I am Italian, and I thought it was neat meeting someone from Sicily. One day I would like to visit Italy or Sicily.

I had fun on my vacation and learned how important life is. When I was at Cafe Dumond with my uncle, I thought, This is beautiful. I still haven't heard from some of my new friends. I may never, but I will always remember them and New Orleans.

__________________________________________


Sunset from my porch

No comments: