Tuesday, June 13, 2006

When can I drive?

"Hey Mama, guess what?" my oldest, Seth asked as he helped me in the kitchen last night.

"What?"

"Sunday is going to be special, know why?"

"Of course, it's Father's Day," I muttered as I stirred a boiling pot of pasta on the stove.

"Is that the only reason you can think of?" Seth screeched, setting a glass on the table with a loud thump.

"Only thing that comes to mind right now," I said turning away to conceal the grin on my face. I knew very well what Sunday was, it was his birthday. I have a mischievous soul, and was thoroughly enjoying his indignation.

"I was born on that day! You know, the 18th?" Seth shook his head and set the table. Ocacasionally I heard him mutter "loose screw" and "must be senile."

Thinking it best to "fess up" before he made reservations for me at the nearest old folk's home, I said wryly, "I know, I think I was there." I had the C-section scar to prove it. I really hate to think I had myself cut open for funnsies.

He turned and studied me critically, as if to judge my mental capabilities before returning to his task. "That was cruel." A hint of a smile tugged at the corner of his lips.

"Aww, come on 'shorty'. I have to have some fun with you." Calling him "shorty" was the furtherest thing from the truth. I stand a hair under 5'7", and at 13, Seth is already eye-level with me.

Seth poked back playfully. "Who are you calling 'shorty', 'shorty'?" We played for a few minutes before turning back to our duties. A few minutes later, Seth walked over to the sink where I was draining the pasta, and cleared his throat.

"Something on your mind, or are you getting sick?"

"I was wondering. . ." Seth said thoughtfully as he traced a pattern on the counter with his finger.

"Wondering what?" I asked, bending over to get another pot out of the bottom cabinet. Not finding what I wanted, I dropped to my knees and stuck my head into the dark cavernous cabinet.

"If I can have a car," Seth blurted.

The shock of his words made me forget where I was, and I jerked my head up, hitting the roof of the cabinet with a resounding thwack. Colorful stars danced merrily in front of my eyes as I sat on the floor and cradled my aching head in my hands.

"Did you just say you wanted a car?"

Seth nodded his head excitedly. "Yeah. The way I see it, is I'll be sixteen in two more years. If you get me a car now, I'll have two years to practice driving it before driver's ed. Then I can breeze though driver's ed and get my license."

I shook my head vigorously. He can't even drive a golf cart without scaring me to death. How does he expect me to let him drive a car?

"Mama please, just hear me out. I can run errands for you after I get my license, I can take Robert to school everyday."

I felt like there was a rock quarry in my stomach when I thought of my both my children in the car together. More than likely, Seth will inhert my lead foot. I had visions of Robert clutching the dashboard in fright as his brother zipped in and out of traffic. I shook my head harder.

"Well when can I have a car?" Seth whined.

Not as long as there's breath left in my body, I wanted to say. I rose unsteadily to my feet and draping my arm around his neck said, "Not until you're much older."

"But I'm not a baby anymore."

Suddenly, it hit me like a ton of bricks. There, on his upper lip, was the faint promise of a mustache. My "baby" was growing up, whether I wanted him to or not. I was powerless to slow the hands of time, time that was taking away my child and leaving me with a young man.

_____________________________________
UPDATE:

Thanks to everyone for all the warm wishes and prayers for the unknown toddler. Sadly, he passed away yesterday at the hospital.

No comments: