Thursday, June 22, 2006

Shutting 'er Down

I had a post almost completed when suddenly the monitor went black. My computer was eerily quiet. "No! This can't be happening!" I screeched. My heart racing like a car stuck in neutral, I pressed the 'on' button of the computer, hoping to hear the soothing whirl of the computer's fan as it started up; I heard nothing.

My stomach did flip-flops as I thought of all the story files on my crashed hard drive, months of work was now destroyed. Like a big baby, I cried.

"What's wrong Mama?" Seth asked. He had been poking around in my room as I typed.

"The computer is broken."

"No it isn't."

"It isn't? How do you know?"

"I unplugged it from behind your bed. I needed the outlet. What me to plug it back in?"

At that moment, I didn't know whether to hug him, or pinch him. "It would be advisable," I said wryly.

He nodded, plugged it in, and the computer came on. I depend on my computer, perhaps more than I should. I was horrified on my last week long trip to New Orleans (before Katrina) that I had to use a pen and paper to work on a story; even more horrifying was my handwriting, not even a doctor could have read it.

I never realized how dependant my children was upon electronics until yesterday. My toddler asked me to read a book, and I agreed. I expected for him to hand me a book, and was surprised when he tried to ram a CD-ROM of toddler stories into my mouth.

So today, I'm going to take the advice of Melissa, turn of the computer, and spend time with the kids the old fashioned way.

------------------------------------------------
Whew, so glad to know this. Glad I'm not a puppy or anything else.



You Are A Woman!



Congratulations, you've made it to adulthood.

You're emotionally mature, responsible, and unlikely to act out.

You accept that life is hard - and do your best to keep things upbeat.

This makes you the perfect girlfriend... or even wife!

No comments: