Sunday, June 25, 2006

What we need

Inspired by Nankin's blog.

The world is a large pot of stew; each nationality, culture, race and religion being the key ingredient. There's two vital seasons miss though, respect and compassion.

I was taught at a very young age to show respect for my fellow human. "I don't care if it's a homeless person," Daddy said, "you still show them the respect you would give the president." Once I made the mistake of talking to someone on the ground while I sat on my horse. Daddy saw me and was irrtated. Waiting until the conversation was over, he walked over and lectured me. "Never talk to someone afoot while you're on horseback. Aways dismount and talk to them."

"Why?" I asked.

"Because you're looking down on them. Where do you think 'get down off your high horse came from?" Daddy was a gentleman in every sense of the word. He was always the first to rise when a lady entered the room, and the old, cattle-stomped, Stetson was hastily whipped of his head when he talked to women. I never understood, until recently why the women grinned broadly when performed such simple acts.

A few months ago I was at a cattleman's show when John introduced me to a couple of Texas Rangers (lawmen) he knew. As like my dad, Stetsons where hastily whipped off in my presence, and the two men smiled broadly and looked me in the eye as they spoke softly to me. Happiness engulfed me like a blanket, and I frantically filed that moment away in my mind. You see, they had made me feel like a lady with their once simple act.

On the way home, I thought of how things had changed. When I was younger, motorists greated each other with a smile and a wave as they passed, even if they didn't know each other. Not know. A friend of mine, a few months ago, smiled and waved at a passing motorist. Astonished, she looked in her rearview mirror and saw the other motorist whip around and stat following her. Afraid for her lifr, she pulled into the well-lit parking lot of a gas station. The other motorist, a male, approached and banged angrily on her window.

"Who do you think you are b*tch? I don't know you! Don't you EVER wave at me again!" The idiot got in his car and drove off, leaving my distraught friend in the parking lot.

I've had my share of the finger, and doors slammed in my face by people walking into a building in front of me, but nothing like that.

Today, I was at the local gas station buying drinks. (Sodas). I had a brace on my right badly spained wrist, and my left hand was bandaged. BTW, I cut my hand today on a can of pineapple. Don't tell me you're surprised!

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a man standing behind me. I bet he wants me to get out of the way. As I struggled with the bag, the man behind me said, "Here, let me help you with that." He smiled broadly as he helped me with the drinks. Maybe compassion is still around, maybe they're just slumbering; I hope they wake up, soon.

No comments: