Monday, May 15, 2006

Spoiled and Aging

Wait. . .sniff-sniff. . .do you smell that? Don’t bother checking the garbage, it’s me; yesterday I was spoiled rotten. Hubby started the morning off on the right foot by awakening me with a colorful bouquet of tea roses. When I shuffled into the kitchen, there on the table, was a large bath and body gift set, from my boys and my hubby. It had everything but the kitchen sink: a foot massager, slippers, shower gel, body massager, bath salts, body spray. Everything was arranged skillfully in an old fashioned, oblong tub. John either finally understands what I like, or he’s kissing up. Based upon the comments he made yesterday to me, I’d say he was kissing up.

Yesterday morning I was sitting at the computer while he was seated in an overstuffed comfy chair near me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him staring at me. I smiled , and without taking my eyes off the screen said “Can I help you?”

“Nope. Just looking at you.”

What a sweetheart! We’ve been married almost fourteen years, and he still likes to stare at me. I basked in the glow of love, I wanted to remember that moment for the rest of my life. The warm fuzzy feeling was short lived when John leaned closer and stared at me even more intently.

I don’t mind people staring at me, sometimes I find it flattering; but when people lean in and stare, invading my personal space, it unsettles me a little. “What? I got a booger on my nose or something?”

“No,” he mused, “it’s worse than that.”

“What is it?”

“It’s gray hair. Right in the front of your head. You have tiny laugh lines at the corners of your eyes too.”

“Anything else?” I asked, raising my left eyebrow. If he knows what’s good for him, he’ll stop.

“Did anyone ever tell you you had a big nose? Has a hump on it too. A pimple—“

“I know. Why don’t we just write ‘too ugly to be seen in public' in permanent marker on my forehead?” I quipped.

“Aww. You know I’m joking.” Of course I knew. We had been best friends long before we dated. Pointing out the fact I’m aging was a blow to my ego though. I pounced on him and ran my hands through his thick jet-black hair. “My daahhhhhling,” I said in my best gypsy voice. “I see Grecian Formula in your future.”

Anyway, back to Sunday. John dazzled me with his culinary skills, and fed me until I was as plump as a tick We spent the day enjoying family, and taking it easy. How was your weekend?

__________________________________________________

I got this from GoofyJ's blog. They "pegged" me again.

You Are a Root Beer Jelly Bean

You are truly All American and down to earth. You don't have fancy tastes, and you don't apologize for who you are. You enjoy tradition and proven quality.

No comments: