Sunday, November 27, 2005

What's going on here?

This is the season for goodwill to your fellow human and a time for peace and happiness in your heart; or so you would think. I was dumb-struck when I watched the news and witnessed the mass chaos and confusion of "Black Friday."

In Michigan, an elderly woman and a teen were rushed to the emergency room when trampled by a stampeding crowd of shoppers. I worked with horses for over twenty years, and I must say that our equine counterparts have better sense then those greedy grabbers; a horse will avoid stepping on humans or other animals if possible, .

The scene at a Florida Wal-Mart turned nasty when a man boldly cut the line then attacked all who confronted him.

One of the saddest things that I heard involved an older woman and an X-BOX. The lady cashed her entire paycheck, spent the night outside the Best Buy in the cold, but was one of the lucky recipients of a new X-box for her son's Christmas. She was elated with her purchase and thought all was well until she arrived at her home. After exiting the car, she was confronted with an armed man who took the system from her; now she has no gift for her son.

Yesterday I read Big Dave's Blog, and was even more appalled to learn that Target has banned the Salvation Army bell ringers from their doors. Okay, I have to admit, when I'm in a hurry to get out of the store, it irks me to be bothered, but it takes two seconds to flash the bell ringer a smile, return his "Merry Christmas," and drop a few coins in the pot. It doesn't even have to be a lot, every little bit helps; even the smile and a warm greeting.

Speaking of season's greetings . . . Target and Wal-Mart have instructed their employees not to say "Merry Christmas" to the customers, but to say "Happy Holidays." Their theory is that it might offend someone to tell them "Merry Christmas." Hmm. This is the first I've ever heard of that phrase offending anyone.

Christmas is so over-commercialized. The stores decorating for the holiday in SEPTEMBER sucks some of the excitement and fun out of the season for me. But there's also a flipside to all of this.

I have to look no further then my toddler's eyes to re-spark my love for the holidays; the excitement that he carries in his tiny heart is contagious. Gloria Estefan's Christmas Through Your Eyes really sums up how I feel when I gaze into those innocent blue eyes. He unknowing puts everything into perspective for me again.

As they used to say in the old variety show Hee-Haw, "Life's not all bad." I received a very inspirational email from the Mom Writer's writing group. The author of the email said that she had bid on and won a special engraved rock on Ebay. When she made the online payment, she left the comment that the rock was for her son "who needed a little courage in the world." Below is what the author--in her own words--said what happened next


"The man and wife who received the payment refunded it saying magic is given,not bought. I thought they were being mean! Then I found a letter from them that said the man remembered being a young boy who had a hard time making his way in the world. His mother had given him a magic rock that carried him through many days. He thanked me for being a good mother and loving my son so much. They're sending this rock for free."

It is refreshing to know in some sense that Christmas is still alive and doing well.

No comments: