Monday, November 28, 2005

Thirteen years

Thirteen years ago today an event took place that changed my life forever; I got married.

It wasn't exactly love at first sight; in fact, I thought John was one of the most obnoxious people I had ever met. Standing 6'0," John was an impressive figure and walked with an air of self-confidence. He reminded me of the macho-acting male cousins I grew up with, and I hated that. He had eyes the color of sapphire, and their gaze seemed to penetrate and expose people's soul.

We met when I was an intern at the sheriff's office, and the meer sight of him sent my heart racing for reasons I couldn't explain at the time. He was very attractive, and because I was engaged, I felt guilty for staring at him in the office. We often argued over the tiniest issues, with him keeping a "cool head," and getting the better of me. John was four years older, and patronized me and treated me like a child; it drove me nuts. His attitude changed after he saw me crying in the patrol room one morning.

Wordlessly, he handed me a Kleenex and seated himself beside me. "Here, you have a trail of snot coming out of your nose."

"Thanks for noticing," I snapped.

"What happened?"

"If it's any of your business, my fiance cheated on me then dumped me last night."

"Oh. . . well . . .it could have been worse. You could have married the bum." In the days and weeks that passed, John and I became close friends. He had a heart of gold, and the samE streak of mischief I possesed. Eventually, we started dating, then, after two years, we were wed.

I can't begin to say how lucky I am; I married my very best friend. We have encountered many hardships in our marriage, but we prevail, and our love for each other grows stronger with each passing day.

John is my hero, my inspiration, the love of my life, and my port in a storm; for that I am grateful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to Dave for the great review on Amazon!

No comments: