Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Forty pounds of what and a crate of what?

The rising cost of beef and poultry has just about turned this old cowgirl into a vegetarian. The other day, while browsing through the meat department of my local grocery store, I saw a delicious- looking standing rib roast.
Mmm. That would taste wonderful this Thanksgiving, I thought as I picked it up and searched for the price. I gasped in alarm, and felt nauseated when I saw the price. There it was it big bold print: $64.99 Very carefully, I placed the roast back where I found it. I still couldn't believe what I saw. I grabbed a meat attendent that was rushing by.

"E-Excuse me. I-Is that roast REALLY almost seventy dollars?"

The attendent examined the roast briefly and smiled--I thought too happily-- back at me. "Yes. It's a twelve pound roast at a little over $5.41 a pound." I stammered a "thank-you" to the attendent as he scampered off.
In a disbelief I looked at the prices of the other meats: $2.99 a pound for ground meat; $2.00 a pound for poultry; they had even raised the price of my cod to $4.00 a pound. Needless to say, I did not go home with a lot of meat. That night I lamented to John about what happened. "We'll just have to at more veggies," I said.

John took what I said literally. The next day he went to the local vegetable stand and returned with 40 lbs of sweet potatoes, a crate of tomatoes, and other various in-season veggies. I stared at the boxes in disbelief. I loved sweet potatoes and tomatoes, but how many ways were there to prepare sweet potatoes and tomatoes? Thank goodness for the internet.

In the past few days we have had tomato soup, sweet potato soup, and sweet potato fries with other dishes. I don't want to waste these veggies, but I'm running out of unique ways to prepare them and everyone is getting burned out. Hmm. Maybe I'll try a sweet potato milkshake (LOL).

No comments: