Thursday, November 10, 2005

Blue has no Clue

A few months ago Blue walked into our lives and left his paw prints all over our hearts. Orginally he belonged to ou neighbors, but after discovering our cats' food and our two young sons, he decided to make our house his new home. After we discovered who he belonged to, the appropriate call was made, and the owner picked him up. I had always wanted a Husky, and I couldn't help but wish that this dog was mine. I was alarmed at how thin he was; it was obvious that the poor pooch was not being fed.

A few days after the owner picked him up, I opened my front door one morning and found Blue happily eating with the cats. Again we called the owner and he trudged over to pick up the dog. "I just don't understand why he doesn't stay at home," our neighbor complained.

Maybe if you tried feeding him, he'd stay at home, I thought nastily. I couldn't watch as the neighbor loaded a whining and resisting Blue into his truck. My heart broke as I watched the truck drive away with the dog hanging his head out the window and howling. I was depressed the rest of the day; I felt I had betrayed a friend.

A few days later--yep, you guessed it--Blue was again on my front porch. We called the neighbor, and he seemed less then enthusiastic to pick up the dog. That was a month ago, and Blue remains with us. I was concerned that the former owner could take him back; after consulting with a dog catcher, I found that, in my state, if you feed a dog for more then three days, and maintain proof that you are feeding the dog, according to Texas law, the dog is yours. If the former owners want the dog back, they have to reimbursh the cost of the food.

Here is where Blue has no clue. Just within the past few days, Blue has got a case of the wonderlust. Not to go into any distastful details, but we think our boy has a girlfriend somewhere. So . . . have called the vet and arranged for Blue to have an *ahem* surgury next week. If Blue did have a clue, he would be heading for the hills.

BTW, Blue was already named when he came here, and I guess he got the name because of his sky-blue eyes. I'll post pictures when he gains more weight.

No comments: