Saturday, October 22, 2005

Facing my demons . . . again

A few years ago, while on my way to work, I was involved in a near fatal car accident in which I was the driver. The driver of the other car decided that I was not driving fast enough--actually I was speeding--went around me in the median, and ran me off the road. I lost control of my car, ended up in opposing traffic, and was hit by a 1/2 ton truck pulling a trailer. Below are pictures of my car.

As a result of the accident, I had over 200 stitches and staples in my face and in my head, massive head trauma, inoperable nerve damage in my right arm, and drifted in and out of a coma for three days.

I had already built a wall of self-pity around me after Daddy's death; now this made the wall higher and unable to be penetrated. I distanced myself from everyone that loved me, but I was determined to overcome my disability. I have to give credit for my tenacious spirit to my faith, parents, my hubby, and well, just plain stubborness on my part.

It's been seven years since that fateful night, and much has changed. I have no scars on my face, and the scars on my heart have almost entirely faded away. I also have about 90 % use of my arm now. I posted this for a couple of reasons. The first to show what I have overcome; the second is more complicated.

I wanted you all to see that no matter how large an obstacle is in your life, it can be overcome. You have to have faith in yourself and never give up. Believe in yourself and you can accomplish anything you set you mind to; continue to doubt yourself and you will accomplish little.

1 comment:

Big Dave T said...

Glad to see the book signings are going well. If I can dig up a copy, I want to review it for Amazon. People actually pay attention to those things, ya know.

Reading your latest post . . .you've sure had a life there.