Sunday, September 18, 2005

It's here!

I thought that my day couldn't get any better on Friday. As the day was winding down, I opened the blinds in my office, sat back in the chair, and stared blissfully out the window. A frosty can of cola sat on the desk by my elbow, the room was filled with the mellow sounds of a Jim Croce melody playing on my CD player. Occasionally, I heard the plink, plink of the video game that my two sons were playing in the next room. A mockingbird, unmindful of my presence, lit on the ground beneath the window and began searching through the grass for insects. Absently, I reached for the cola as I watched the bird struggle with a worm. I savored the acid bite of the cola as it trickled down my throat. I sighed contentedly. Ah. Who could ask for a more perfect afternoon, I thought, licking my lips.

My day got even better when John got home. Wait, before you say "aw, how sweet," there's another reason that I was happy to see him. Tiredly, he handed me a book-shaped cardboard mailer. My hands trembling, I tore the top of the box off and peaked inside. I gave a squeal of delight as I pulled a book from the package; it was my contributor's copy of Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. Carefully, I opened the front cover and scanned the table of contents. There it was, the first story to head up the second chapter. My children and I grabbed hands and jumped around excitedly.

I can't take all the credit for the success of this story; I have several to thank. I have to give all the credit to God, without Him, none of this would have happened. I want to thank my family for putting up with me. Hmmm. This is sounding like an Emmy award speech (LOL). Please know that I am sincere in all my thanks.

I deeply appreciate the support and advice of my online writer friends such as Big Dave, "Judts" and others. Big Dave is a talented writer whose blog contains thought provoking, and often hilareous entries.

"Judts" has been my friend since the very beginning, and like most of my family members, has helped me pick up the pieces when my "train" derailed.

Thanks again to everyone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had company most of the weekend, and it was a welcome distraction. My mind has been buzzing with everything I have to get done in the next few days.

I have been so absent minded lately. This past Saturday, I buzzed around the house like a nervous bumble bee, trying to clean it for the company arriving that day. My house has to be "just so:" I buff my hardwood floors until I can see my reflection in them.

This can also be hazardous to my family's and my health. When the floors are waxed and buffed, it's like walking on ice. John swears that I must have a monsterous insurance policy out on him. Each of us has busted our rears on these floors more times then I care to remember.

Needless to say, on this particular Saturday, I forgot, in my haste to greet the guests at the door, that the floors were freshly waxed. I was wearing socks, and well, I guess you can imagine what happened. My feet flew out from under me, I landed flat on my back and slid to the front door. Nimbly, Seth hopped over me and opened the door. My guests were treated to the sight of me still laying on the floor.

"Umm. Are you okay?" They asked.

"Yep. Just taking a break," I replied calmly.

Oh well, that's what I get for being a neat freak!


1 comment:

Big Dave T said...

You're most certainly welcome. Thanks for the mention.