Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Day of relaxation

Yesterday I was treated to a day of relaxation and pampering. To begin with, my wonderful hubby treated me by making breakfast AND cleaning up the kitchen. My pre-teen son added to my bliss by volunteering to clean up his room. I was in shock; I felt like I had been zapped into some weird episode of the "Twilight Zone." I half expected Rod Sterling to be standing in my living room and introducing the episode I was in. Not true though, my family was just being the wonderful.

After breakfast my Walkman and I took an hour-long uninterrupted walk. Even in the morning hours, it was scorching. I emerged back at the house a melted lump, and was pleassantly surprised to see that a full scale house cleaning had been launched in my abscense. The heavenly aroma of a cake baking wafted into my nostrils and caused my stomach to growl hungrily. John was baking a cake for me!

John is a WONDERFUL cook, and is definately the chef in the family, but he long ago declared me the baker in the family. I was touch at his attempts to bake me a birthday cake. Getting back to John's talent though. . .
He has spoiled me with his culinary masterpieces, especially his Italian food. I thought my mother could cook, but John has her beaten by a mile. I can't go to many Italian restaurants anymore; I think that the food is substandard. Yes, I know that sounds snobby, but that's how good my hubby's cooking is. Even my spaghetti sauce cannot compare to his. I allow mine to simmer for 8 hours, he allows his to simmer for 12. The difference in the taste is night and day. Anyway, back to the cake.

The cake was wonderful! It was super-moist and had a wonderful taste. For supper I was treated with grilled marinated turkey breast, grilled stuffed cabbage, potatoes baked on the grill, and marinated olive salad, and a glass of wine. Needless to say I was stuffed. THEN my darling family cleaned up the kitchen
John and I have been together for over 13 years, and it seems like just yesterday when we were married. Sometimes I don't see how he puts up with me. Through the years we have been through a lot togther; but through it all he has been my rock, my cheerleader, a shoulder to cry on, and my best friend. I don't know what I'd do without him.

No comments: