Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Wanderer

By now, most of you are familiar with my Malamute/Husky, Blue, and all the joy and sorrow he has bestowed upon my family. If you remember, I found Blue several months ago in the bushes at my house; something clicked and the entire family fell in love with him. We learned he was our neighbor's, but was overjoyed when my neighbor so graciously said we could have the dog. Over a period of the past few months, he has disappeared and reappeared several times; each time he disappeared it played havoc with our emotions. I think it was my friend, Perpetualchocoholic, who enlightened me on the fact Huskies loved to roam. Thanks for the info by the way!

In my blog entry "A Late Christmas Miracle", Blue left us again ,but returned several weeks later after we had presumed him no longer of this world. True to form, my mutt stayed just long enough to make us think he was back for good, then pulled another disappearing act. The next day I called my local animal control to report him missing. "If you find him, please call me. He's a beloved pet and we're all heartbroken, especially my oldest son," I told the female officer.

"No problem. If I see him wandering, I'll bring him home."

"That would be great." Yeah right. She probably said that to get rid of me, I thought, hanging up the phone. A week later, I received the surprise of my life. I was busily typing on the computer at home when I heard a vehicle door slam. Curious, I raised the blinds and peered out the window. A white truck with the words Animal control on its doors was parked in the drive. What are they doing here? Still dumbfounded, I walked to the living room and opened the front door.

"Are you still missing a Husky?" the smiling female officer asked.

"W-Why yes I am."

"I was in your neighborhood checking on a female dog, when I saw Blue sleeping beside her. I remembered what you said about your son being heartbroken, so I grabbed him."

I was touched. This complete stranger had cared enough about my child to return his dog. "I can't tell you how much I appreciate it," I stammered. There has to be a catch. Even though there's no lease law in the country, I thought I would still get a ticket. "How much do I owe you?"

"Oh, nothing at all. It's payment enough to know how happy your boy will be when he gets home from school." Together, we walked to the truck and unloaded a very nervous Blue. "He uh, he likes the female dog across the road," the animal control officer continued.

'That's sweet."

The officer shook her head and grinned. "You don't get it. I mean he REALLY likes the female across the street. He's been there for a week!"

"Oh," I blushed. Blue is an un-neutered male and. . .well. . .you get the picture. After the officer left, I tied Blue with a rope to a tree in the front yard. He'll be visiting the "nice" vet on Friday for a *ahem* procedure which I hope will cure some of his wonderlust. John has been working on fencing in the yard for him.

In the meantime, Blue has been working on his "nut tying." When I walk him, it seems to be his mission to wrap me up in the rope. You guessed it, I'm the nut.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a couple of shockers! LOL

You Are an Espresso

At your best, you are: straight shooting, ambitious, and energetic

At your worst, you are: anxious and high strung

You drink coffee when: anytime you're not sleeping

Your caffeine addiction level: high



Your Career Type: Artistic

You are expressive, original, and independent.
Your talents lie in your artistic abilities: creative writing, drama, crafts, music, or art.

You would make an excellent:

Actor - Art Teacher - Book Editor
Clothes Designer - Comedian - Composer
Dancer - DJ - Graphic Designer
Illustrator - Musician - Sculptor

The worst career options for your are conventional careers, like bank teller or secretary.

No comments: