Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The affair

I thought I was safe, I should have know better. All day I had cajoled and pampered my two sick kids, all the while counting the minutes until he and I could enjoy a reckless moment of abandon. It was a secret affair I had kept hidden for almost a week, not even John knew it. Finally, it was time.

I left the kids in the oldest's bedroom, happily watching television. A small twinge of guilt hit me as I stared at their innocent faces, so childlike, so unknowing. My heart pounding, I crept into the laundry room and prepared for my careless fling. He was already there waiting for me, hiding behind the dryer. I grabbed him and breathed deeply, enjoying his peanutty fragrance. My passion in overdrive, I ripped his wrapper--- Oh, by the way, did I mention my passionate fling was with a Butterfinger?

Chocolate is a scarce commodity in my house; my children are chocolate mongers. To be able to caress the precious candy bar I had in my hand was a rare treat. Carefully, I ripped the wrapper a little more; the wrapper crinkled loudly. "Shhh!" I hissed, looking around anxiously. Sure enough, the door burst open, and my toddler stood in the doorway, sniffing the air like a hungry, half-rabid wolf.

In the dim light of the laundry room he spotted me cringing in the corner. He pointed his nose into the air and howled the hunting cry "Chocolate!" I had no chance, there was no escape. Within minutes the older boy joined the fray, and soon my candy bar was no more. They walked away with chocolate smeared on their faces. I was left with only an empty wrapper.

No comments: