Friday, February 24, 2006

The dust has settled. . .

The dust is settled and things are back to normal since the "chocolate" incident. I was able to rescue another cleverly hidden chocolate bar and enjoy this one in private.

Another much sought after commodity in my house is soda. My children never cease to amaze me. Sometimes, they are in the other part of the house, but appear like magic, slobbering like thirsty hounds, when they hear the quiet pfft of a soda can being opened; other times a hundred piece marching band, playing Stars and Stripes Forever, could march through the house and they would never notice.

In his most recent post, my friend, Dave, mentioned his drink of choice was Coke. I couldn't agree with him more. Other than an occasional chilled glass of vino or a "White Russian", Coke is my "poison" of choice. I love the slightly biting edge it has. Like so many other things recently, Coke triggers fond childhood memories.

Every Saturday afternoon it was a ritual in my house for my dad, mom, and I to take a nap after lunch. Daddy and I always fell asleep watching The Rifleman, but Mom rarely napped. Those naps allowed her precious "alone time" to do whatever she pleased. I was always awakened from my nap with a cold half bottle of Coke, and some peanut butter crackers. I still remember how cold and refreshing the slender bottle felt in my hands. Coke may have reverted to the original formula, but the product in the can still cannot contend with the product in the glass bottles.

On another note..............................................

*My comments are in bold

Ms. Vickie had several interesting points about life on her blog, and I couldn't agree more. To fight aging , she suggests:

1. "Enjoy the simple things."

Try to see the world through a child's eyes. You'll be surprised at what you've been missing.

2. The tears happen. Endure, grieve, and move on. The only person who is with us our entire life, is ourselves. Be ALIVE while you are alive.

I spent twenty miserable years grieving over my dad; that's not how he taught me to live my life. Enjoy every moment of every day like it was your last.

Make decisive decisions and stick with them. Don't look back and dwell on the "only ifs" and "what ifs". They will eat you alive emotionally, and it will not change the outcome of what has already happened.

Don't fear failure, learn from your mistakes. We fail at something--whether it be a recipe or a test--at least once a day every day of our lives.

No comments: