Sunday, September 24, 2006

Ricotta cheesecake recipe and more

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Here's the recipe I promised and a couple of other things.

Ricotta Cheesecake

Crust

2 c. graham cracker crumbs

1/4 c. sugar

1/3 c. melted butter


Filling

1 lb. ricotta cheese, room temp.
2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, room temp.
2 c. sour cream
1 1/2 c. sugar
4 eggs
2 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 tbsp. cornstarch
3 tbsp. flour
1/4 c. butter, softened

Directions for crust
Combine the crust ingredients. Mix well and press evenly (1/4 to 1/2 inch thick) over bottom of a 9 inch springform pan. Smooth the extra mixture up the sides of pan

Directions for filling
Blend cream cheese, sour cream and ricotta together. Mix in sugar and eggs.
Mix in remaining ingredients and beat until smooth. Into a generously buttered 9 inch springform pan pour batter. Put in oven at 325 degrees. Bake 1 hour. DO NOT open oven door. Turn off oven, leave cake in for 2 more hours. Do not open oven door. Cool in pan. You can use fruit pie filling as the topping, and I find the cherry works the best.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I found this meme over at GoofyJ's, and I couldn't pass it up.

What is the first music you remember hearing?

I remember listening to and watching my mother perform gospel music with her group in different places. At the time, I never understood why some people were crying as she sang, or why they all congratulated her at the end of every performance

Did you come from a musical family?

Oh yeah! My mother was a country music/ gospel singer who, a couple of times performed with Johnny Gimble. She was offered a chance to sing in Nashville on the "Grand Ol' Opery," but she was deeply in love with my father. She had to make a choice, family or a fast-paced musical career in the spotlight. Of course she chose family. I couldn't comprehend why she would make such a sacrifice until I met my hubby.

In a sense, I was a musical failure to some; they thought I would be as vocally talented as my mother, and was disappointed when I wasn't.

Instead, instruments were my "cup of tea." In high school, I played the clarinet in marching and concert band, and tenor sax in jazz band.

.Do you remember a lullaby from your childhood? If so, what is it?

I can't remember all the words, or the name of the song, but the chorus went:
I love you, a bushel and a peck.
A bushel and a peck and a hug aound the neck.
Hug around the neck and a barrel in a heap.
Barrel in a heap and I'm talking in my sleep about you

What song(s) changed your life?

Oh wow, there's a bunch. Here's 3 off the top of my head.
1. I believe by Fantasia Barino
2. Live Like You Were Dying
3. Let Them be Little

If you could have dinner with three dead musicians which three would you choose and why?

Eh, I like to live life in the present, so, being the rebel I am--after all I use tomato soap--I'll list the ones living.

1. Kenny G--His music puts me in such a mellow state of mind, and I'd love to know how he created his instrument.

2. Fantasia--I like her music, and she seems to be a very "grounded" person. I'd love to hear what all she went through before she "made it."

3. Bon Jovi--I listened to him during my wild child days, and he's a great humanitarian.

You are stranded on a deserted island. You are allowed the complete musical works of one band and its members. Which band or musician would you choose?

Kenny G.

Can music truly soothe the savage beast? If so, what music soothes your beast?

I love all kinds of music, but jazz takes the edge off if I'm ticked. If I'm extremely mad--which is rare--I listen to something like "Eye of the Tiger" as I do karate kicks on my son's punching bag.

Speaking of soothing sounds, here's a link that will take the edge off.

No comments: