Friday, September 29, 2006

The Madness Continues

After the hair salon incident on Tuesday, that same day I journeyed back into town. A glutton for punishment, I brought along Robert. "I'm going to get another balloon?" he asked hopefully as we pulled into the Wal-Mart parking lot.

"They don't give balloons away here." Thank goodness for that too. Just the mere thought of a balloon anywhere around me made me as jumpy as a cricket in a hot skillet.

Walking into the lobby, we soon found Wal-Mart had something much worse; automated shopping carts. These carts were geared toward the children, and were actually play cars with the shopping built in on the outside. The child sat inside the vehicle while the car entertained them with blinking lights, stories and songs. The only drawback is that it requires a dollar deposit. A dollar to use a shopping cart? No way. I thought huffily.

Robert had only to bat his big blue eyes at me and say "Please Mommy," to make my resolve melt like butter.

It is only a dollar, I argued with myself, and besides, just a dollar for your sanity? It's worth it. I paid the money into the machine as Robert happily climbed into a car decorated in Barney motif.

I was in heaven as I browsed luxiously through the store. There was no whining, no "Mommy I want out." Instead, Robert sat smiling like a Cheshire cat in his car. I encountered a snag in the trip when I checked out. There, in big letters, was a sign stating the cars would shut off once we left the check-out area. Just great, get ready for the water works, I thought grimly as I put the groceries on the conveyer belt. I asked a cashier for an empty regular cart, and true to form, Robert threw a fit to end all fits. He was the only thing on my mind as I wrestled him into the seat portion of the plain cart.

I was halfway across the parking lot, with Robert howling like a wounded coyote pup, when I realized I didn't have my change. It's only three dollars, but still!

Robert held onto the sides of the cart for dear life as I whipped around and raced back to the store with speed a NASCAR driver would be envious of. I barreled in through the doors like a raging maniac, pushing my cart toward the surprised elderly door greeter. "I left my change at the register. Can I leave my kid and cart with you?" I asked breathlessly before darting away.

"U-um yeah, that will be fine." the greeter stuttered. I wove through shoppers, who were checking out, with the agility of a running back. I made it to my register just as a young mom was pulling her groceries out of the cart.

"Excuse me, this is mine," I explained hastily, grabbing the money out of the change slot. My heart still racing, I stumbled back toward the door greeter who was guarding my groceries and Robert like a hawk. "That was some running," he joked,"Seriously hon, I'm glad you got your change before someone else did."

I thanked him, took Robert and started to the truck. Completely spent, I gasped like a fish out of water. "That was fun, Mommy. Do it again," Robert cheered, clapping his graham cracker encrusted hands. Yeah right, that will happen again REAL soon, I thought tiredly. Right after Barney the Dinosaur enters politics.

No comments: