Friday, March 24, 2006

Machine wins the first round; Human wins the second

During the last couple of days, my life has been, well, interesting to say the least. It all started Tuesday night. I went outside for my nightly walk, when I tripped over something huge. I went down on both knees, decorating them with nice scrape marks from the gravel. I completed the look by brusing the side of my left knee, and popping the right knee out of place. I'm sure I looked like something out of Night of the Living Dead, as I struggled to get off the ground. The dog ran over, took one look at me, then whined and ran off. Lassie, he isn't. As I was floundering on the ground, my right knee popped back in. I knew it would; I've had trouble with it ever since high school.

What the hairy heck did I trip over? I felt the object, gritting my teeth in anger when I determined what it was. No, it can't be! I told Seth to put his #@$&* bicycle in the garage, I raged. But, sure enough, there it lay on the ground beside me. I considered picking up the bike, and giving one of the oak trees a nice bow tie.
It takes a lot to truly anger me, but now I was in pain AND ticked off.


I hobbled to the house and lurched inside, blood trickling down both my legs. My oldest had the gall to glare at me and say "Well? What do YOU want?" I didn't scream, didn't lose my temper, but I gritted my teeth and gave him THE LOOK. He got the message, got hubby, and without a word, cleaned up the kitchen for me. Hubby is an ex-paramedic, so he's the family emergency doc. LOL. I sat the rest of the night pouting on the couch with an ice bag on my knee.

The next day John came home and handed me a small cardboard box. 'What's this?" I asked.

"It's the DSL modem."

"Great! When will they be out to install it?"

"They're not. You have to." Needless to say, I wasn't happy. I can fix small software problems, but when it comes to adding things externally to the computer, I'm a dunce.

I tried charming my hubby, but he wasn't buying into it, rarely does; he's an Italian version of "Ricky Ricardo".
"I have a meeting tonight," he said, kissing me on the head, "have fun".

"'Have fun my fanny," I grumbled. Enlisting the aid of my oldest, we read the directions, plugged in cords and installed the software.
Immediately I received a message "Explorer has experienced a problem. The program will now close." Argh! My knee still hurt from the night before, now the computer as messing with me. That dumb machine was not going to beat me. Might be a software coflict. I deleted a web accelerator program, rebooted, and tried again. WAHLA! It worked. Within minutes I was surfing the web at "break-neck speed." For once, my stubborness paid off.

No comments: