Monday, March 06, 2006

Argh!

Update: I just read all your responses from the last post. You are all so awesome! BTW My story in Sasee magazine is online now. http://www.sasee.com

I just got word it will take another week until my computer is restored. Argh! I’m going nuts without it! I always try to see the “sunny” side of things, and this situation does have its good points.

1. It’s allowed me some “down-time.” I’ve been “sweating the small stuff,” pushing myself too hard, and it, couple with a couple of more major worries, was taking its toll on me physically and emotionally. Ever since I can remember, my parents taught me to enjoy life; to work hard, but to also take time out for fun. I had forgotten how to do the latter. Since the computer has been on the fritz, I’ve been outside more enjoying nature more and playing with the kids.

Hmm. What have I been stressed about? Remember I said I was concerned about the status of two manuscripts for children I had sent off? Before the computer went, I contacted one publishing house. They had my manuscript for several months past the reply deadline, and I hadn’t heard from them. The same day I received a response from the editor. She explained she “loved the manuscript,” and for several months had tried to find a place for it in their publishing house, but was unsuccessful. She stressed again that she loved the MS, and she “strongly encouraged me to submit to another house.”

Do I believe her? Absolutely. She is a very well respected editor in the publishing field. Still, rejection anyway you slice it still stings a little, no matter how many writing credits you have, or how “thick-skinned” you are. I look at it this way; either you can mope around, feel sorry for yourself and quit, or you can “suck it up,” re-evaluate and re-edit your MS and move on. You can’t give up because of a rejection; Dr. Seuss was rejected 40 something times before his first book was published.

After I shed a few tears into my root beer, I re-evaluated my manuscript and submitted elsewhere.

That same day, I took a deep breath and phoned the other publishing house to check on the other MS. I was shocked when the editor himself answered the phone, and as a result, I turned into a babbling idiot. I asked him about the status of my story.

“What’s the name of the story?” he asked.

“Umm.” Oh my gosh, I can’t remember the title of my own story, I thought, horrified. Finally, it came to me. “Daisy’s Soggy Boggy Day,” I blurted. I heard him chuckling as he typed something into the computer. Thank goodness he has a sense of humor.

He apologized and told me they were short handed, and didn’t have a chance to read it yet. So, there’s still a good chance with that one too.

The last bit of news is a little more depressing. For the past several months, my sister-in-law has been battling pancreas cancer; it’s now spread throughout her whole body. Then, a month ago, I learned our aunt, who is like a grandmother to me, has liver cancer. She’s eighty and a remarkable lady. She journeyed here from Sicily when she was a young girl. I’ve always kept from airing out the “family’s dirty laundry” in public, but I’ve been stressed over this for so long, and just needed to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening.

No comments: