Saturday, March 18, 2006

At last. . .I'm back

I finally did it! After going several "rounds" with my internet service provider, I finally reached someone who actually cared enough to listen. In the past couple of weeks, I had done everything short of standing on my head for these people to get them to re-instate dial up until DSL was in effect. Every time I was met with the same response, "You're DSL account is pending activation, making your internet inaccessible at this time." Argh! I was ready to bite roofing nails after every conversation with these people.

This time was different. Again, I got a bored voice at the other end. I gave him the info he requested, and his attitude changed when I told him the name of my town.

"Hey," he exclaimed, "I'm actually talking to a local."

"No way! You mean I'm not talking to an out-of-state customer rep?"

"No, a hometown boy," he chuckled. "What can I help you with?" This can definitely work to my advantage, I thought. I had tried pleading and demanding in the past, now I would try to be charming. I prefer to be straightforward, but I can be very charming if the need arises, and the need had arisen.

I told him the problem. "What makes it so bad is I have to drive all the way into town and wrestle with a toddler while I check my email at the library."

"Hmmm. That's definitely a bummer."

"I know you can fix the problem. We have nothing but the best techs working on the local level," I crooned. I almost gagged over the sugary compliments I had dished out. The tech bit the line though.

"Well, let me see what I can do to get you going here. If I can't do it, I know my supervisor can." He put me on hold, and in a few minutes, came back on the line. "You're set," he announced.

"Oh wow! You're awesome!" I definitely meant that compliment.

Now, until DSL kicks in I have access from home. WAHOO!

***I'm so happy to be back. I missed hearing from each and every one of you on a regular basis. Can you believe I've been "talking" to some of you for almost a year now? That's wonderful! Thanks again to all of you for always being there for me.

No comments: