Friday, July 14, 2006

Answers

Thanks so much for all your questions and comments, you all are wonderful.

GoofyJ asked: " . . .what genre do you like to write in (understanding you probably have a few) and as you state you are published, can I ask what you've published? Or is that classified information?

Since I'm so much of a kid at heart, children's writing is my main genre. I base a lot of my characters on antics I pulled when I was a kid (scary) and my children's. They think they've had some adventures, but have they ever taken a horse in the house? Noooooooo. . .I don't think so.

Anyway. . .back to the topic. I love writing humor. I'm an "eternal optomist" and always try and see the brighter side of things. I view life this way. . .either you can cry over the fact your toddler has just climbed onto the table and bathed himself with the brownie pie you slaved over all morning; or you can laugh over how ridiculous he looks. They're only little once.

I've dabbled some in the horror genre, I love reading it, but writing about vampires are a real "pain in the neck" for me. I also have a few inspirational stories "out there" too.

Here's what I have published so far:


2003-- A Battle of Wills published by Grace Abraham Publishing in the collection of Anthologies entitled Laughing and Learning: Adventures in Parenting
05/2005--"The Hero" published in the Write2theheart.com newsletter.
07/2005--"The 'To-Do' List" published in the Write2theheart.com newsletter.
08/2005-- Some Snowballs Dont Melt" to be published in the upcoming Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover s Soul (estimated release 10/ 05).
08/2005--"Cinnamon Rolls!" published by Mommies' Magazine
01/2006--"Things that go Bump in the Night" published by Holiday Crafts 4 Kids
02/2006--"Honey, Where's the Instruction Booklet on this Kid?" accepted for the March 2006 issue of Sasee magazine

I forgot to mention, I also do freelance sports writing. (As you read this, beads of sweat pop out onto your brow, and your blood runs as cold as glacier water through your veins. "Awww!!!!!!!! Noooooo!!!!!!!! Grab the children and lock the doors." you yell, your heart pounding like a base drum, "she's also a reporter." LOL.)

Dave wrote: OK, if this is too personal, I'll understand though. What kind of renumeration did you receive for that story you had published in the chicken soup series? And do you still get payments, or was it a one-time lump sum?

No, it's not too personal at all. Chicken Soup paid me a one-time payment of $250. The rights to the story are still mine, and I can submit it elsewhere as long as I include the Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul publishing credit. I'm also considered a member of the Chicken Soup family, and receive perks. I really encourage you to submit to Chicken Soup. In the reguards to anthologies, the $250 is thought to be high pay; plus the corporation goes above and beyond to help you with whatever you need.

Thanks again!

No comments: