Monday, December 19, 2005

Whatcha gonna do when Mama comes for you?

This holiday season has brought my family something that we don't really need . . . allergies. This last Arctic front has caused the mold count to soar through the roof, and my babies are suffering.

Seth started sneezing and hacking first. Oh please don't let Robert get allergies, I prayed. Giving meds to Robert is no easy task. Quite honestly, giving my feisty toddler meds is like a scene from COPS. When he sees the medicine bottle in my hand, the chase is on. With agility that would make my high school track coach proud, I skillfully leap over toys on the floor without breaking stride as I pursue Robert from room to room. I finally apprehend the tiny fugitive and wrestle him to the ground.

"Quit resisting. You're only going to hurt yourself," I reason with the wailing squirming toddler. Finally, no worse for the wear, Robert is released after he gives in and takes the meds. The rest of the day he usually avoids me like the plague. He has never taken meds willingly, and since he is older, this is the only way I can get them in him.

Once, Robert awakened in the middle of the night with an ear infection. So, off to the ER we went. Robert is an equal opportunity bad patient; he treats the doctors and nurses the same way he treats me . . . with screams and struggles. It's a blessing in disguise; because of his bad attitude, the ER visits are always short and sweet. On the downside, the haggard medical staff look like the need a good stiff drink after we leave.

After this particular visit, we went to a local pharmacy to have his scripts filled. At 2 A.M., there was not a long wait, and in fifteen minutes, the scripts were done.

"Give the antibiotic to him three times a day," a pharmacy tech said, looking at her watch. "Since he had a pretty high fever, the first dose needs to be given now."

I gulped. "N-Now?"

"Yep." Oh, is she in for a show, I thought, removing a lethargic Robert from the shopping cart. When he saw the medicine, his entire body tensed, and the fight was on. Down to the floor we went, with him seated between my legs. For one I was grateful of my long legs as I wrapped them around him, pulling him in tight to my torso. With one hand I pinned his arms to his chest as I poured the meds into his mouth. I looked up and saw the tech staring at us and smiling.

Why the heck is she so happy?

"I'm glad I'm not the only one who has that kind of problem," she laughed. "My little one acts like that too."

The dentist told me the other day that I grind my teeth. Hmm. I wonder why? (LOL)

No comments: