Sunday, December 25, 2005

Memories

Lately, I have been running non-stop like a car with no brakes. For the past few days, my kitchen has been a beehive of activity. My family and I have been making homemade biscotti, cannoli, and fig cookies to enjoy during the holidays, and to give to friends and neighbors; it's one of our family traditions that I enjoy the most. Stories are told and memories are made as the kids stand shoulder-to-shoulder with us and help with the baking.

Seth no longer believes in Santa, and while that leaves me feeling very old, my heart swells with pride as I watch him lovingly wrap each package of baked goods for the neighbors. Several times during the past few days, he has paused and said, "so this is what Christmas is all about. Makes me feel good to it." That one comment couldn't have made me any happier.

Late this morning we were treated to the comforting smells of the ham, homemade lasagna, and ciabatta bread baking in the oven as we opened our gifts. Robert danced around the room with the presents Santa had left the night before as Christmas carols played in the background. Even though he loves the gifts, he's still at the toddler stage where the boxes the gifts came in are more interesting.

Tomorrow, bags of pretty used wrapping paper will make their way to the end of the drive and await the overworked trashmen. My "monster" Christmas tree stands forlorn in the corner, stripped of the brightly wrapped packages it sheltered with is low-hanging limbs.

Yes, all this will be gone tomorrow, but old memories of Christmas past and the new memories of this Christmas still remain in our hearts.

I hope everyone of you have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year!

No comments: