Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Black Sunday

Late Sunday afternoon, I felt the urge to be creative in the kitchen. John was running errands, and to show my appreciation, I planned to make banana pudding --from scratch--and chicken enchiladas. The tortillas were from scratch too.

The whole time I was in the kitchen, Robert constantly demanded my attention. He rotated from trying to be a life-sized necklace dangling off my neck, to a flying squirrel impressionist as he leaped off chairs. My hands full of tortilla dough, I asked Seth to help out by playing with him. Seth--typical teen, made a smart remark, then went back to watching television.

Minutes past, and all was quiet. . .too quiet.

"Would you please check on your brother?" I asked Seth. "I'm still busy with tortillas."

He mumbled something about "cruelty to children," as he peeled himself from the TV and wandered off. . A couple of seconds later, I heard Seth say "Oh crap. . .oh crap. . .oh crap." He walked into the kitchen carrying my wireless mouse which was dripping water.

"Where the heck did you find the mouse?" I demanded. "Why is it dripping water?"

"He threw it in the toilet," Jonathan shrugged. This was definately an Advil popping, give-me-strength moment.

Then. . .as I was still fuming over the mouse, Robert got a bag of lentil peas, ripped a corner of the bag, and strewed them from here to kingdom come, then, he took off his diaper and peed in the middle of them.

Well, I swept up the peas, then moped the floor with bleach water; I dropped the bottle of bleach and it spilled all over my leg. A few hours later, John came home, looked me in the face, and said, "What did you do today? Anything exciting happen?"

I could only stare at him blankly, then collapse in semi-hysterical laughter. If he only knew.

The mouse is working, and now I can see the humor in the situation. What they say is true, "what don't kill ya, only makes ya stronger."

Side note: Once again, I'm playing globetrotter as I wearily pack my bags and get ready to depart on a new adventure. This time I'm off to West Texas for a two day conference. Have a great one!

No comments: